Eli L

SuPHP installed

69 posts in this topic

Bad news guys.

I got a report that someone on the server is sending out lots of spam. So in response my solution was to install suPHP as the spammer was using a script to send the spam and it was being sent as 'nobody' so i was unable to locate the account. What suphp does is forces those scripts to use the account's username instead of nobody.

For the time being, you guys are all going to get 500 errors until I figure this out.

You can thank the spammer for this.

Okay everyone, here is your little FAQ to get everything working.

Well.... I could actually post everything in here but I really dont feel like typing all that :P

So instead, everyone read the link below and it will tell you what you need to do.

http://support.lunarpages.com/knowledge_bases/show/99

Edit: Those directions should handle most anything you come across but I cannot be 100% certain that they are accurate. I am really busy right now and dont have time to test it all.

Setting your php file's permission from 644 to 755 seems to help the 500 internal server error.

[EDIT] Also, a some of my features (such as image uploads) do not work properly.

Setting your php file's permission from 644 to 755 seems to help the 500 internal server error.

[EDIT] Also, a some of my features (such as image uploads) do not work properly.

Make sure none of your files/folders are CHMODed to 777.

Not sure if it's related to this....but whatever.

I can't upload any attachments now on my forum.

When I try all I get is this:

"Error Attaching File

The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again. Error details: The attachment could not be found on the server."

I've tried CHMOD-ing the "uploads" directory to 775, but that didn't work.

Well I have no idea what this about.

500 server error - it was working fine before but now it isn't.

Don't give me some shit about "spammers" - that is FUCKING LIES! Do you imagine we are all as thick as two planks?

This is not service, it is a piss-take and a run-around. :mad:

Well let me know when you want to provide a real service.

Don't give me some shit about "spammers" - that is FUCKING LIES! Do you imagine we are all as thick as two planks?

Hey you know what? You can get your ass off this server if all you want to do is bitch. I'm on here every day trying to make this server stable and secure. I'm doing all of this for absolutely no pay on my free time. You guys are getting this service for free so get the fuck off this server. :mad:

Hows that for service?

I am furious to read such a comment, you come to this host that is giving space to you for free and is providing pretty fast support for all and you just complain. I original thought you were a nice guy - oh how wrong was I, I come on here every day making accounts and sorting out loads of support requests all for free - you're not paying me anything, you're not donating any money to my PayPal you are doing absolutely nothing. If you aren't happy then please feel free to tell me and I will remove your account from the server.

As just mention Eli has installed a script call SuPHP to try and find out exactly who is sending out spam emails from the server (to avoid getting the server shut down), once he finds the exact problem then he can turn off the script - would you rather having the change the setting of a few of your files or no server and no backup at all.

Learn some manners to the people who are giving you so much for so little.

This is insane. :( I'll do the steps necessary, but still, it's insane. :( Darn spammers. I'm not saying Eli's actions are, but the steps necessary to get the site back up and running.

Edited by Kevin M

Not sure if it's related to this....but whatever.

I can't upload any attachments now on my forum.

When I try all I get is this:

"Error Attaching File

The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again. Error details: The attachment could not be found on the server."

I've tried CHMOD-ing the "uploads" directory to 775, but that didn't work.

I dont know. I can upload files just fine in wordpress so its not a problem with the whole server.

I followed the steps in the document, but there is one little thing it does not remind you of :P. Make sure that your public_html and www directories (you can view them by going a directory above public_html) are CHMOD to 755. That should fix any issues you may encounter after changing everything else to 755.

This is insane. :( I'll do the steps necessary, but still, it's insane. :( Darn spammers. I'm not saying Eli's actions are, but the steps necessary to get the site back up and running.

Once everything is permissioned correctly and your .htaccess is setup right everything should be fine. This makes everything more secure.

I followed the steps in the document, but there is one little thing it does not remind you of :P. Make sure that your public_html and www directories (you can view them by going a directory above public_html) are CHMOD to 755. That should fix any issues you may encounter after changing everything else to 755.

Mines setup as 750, works fine for me.

I was just uploading to PCCom without error and everyone I have spoken to seems to be having no problems either.

Thanks Eli for supplying us with all the information needed to fix any problems we may have had.

Peter, I think you should take into consideration all aspects before jumping on and venting as you did. If you feel so violated then why feel the need to comment. Back up your account and go somewhere else. Here at Vlexo we try to maintain a service that attracts alot of people. Unfortunately for you, we have to live in a world where people only care for themselves and don't care what situations they put others into. If you act like this on a free webhost.... Life is for living. We take things as they come. If a problem arises do what you have to do to fix things.. Here you have two options.

1. Do what Eli said in the first few posts
  2. Do what Eli said at the top of this page

Oh God....

I just deleted htaccess and everything seems to work ok. Now, few hours later, all my forum plugins stopped working... I'm having a mess this day... Eli, do you plan to uninstall this soon, or is this a permanent security patch?

Oh God....

I just deleted htaccess and everything seems to work ok. Now, few hours later, all my forum plugins stopped working... I'm having a mess this day... Eli, do you plan to uninstall this soon, or is this a permanent security patch?

This should be permanent.

But I think your issue is because I changed the name of one of your files to leave you a message. "/home/clanuis/public_html/xmlhttp.php" to be exact.

Can you disable that or fix it so its not the #1 resource intensive script on the server?

lol matty. Whats the cookie thing in your sig?

btw: I gave you a cookie w/ comment "

Lol I found it the other day and I'm only the 115th member.. If there were many more I probably wouldn't join :P

It's also a way to take care of rep anyone wants to give me at any time on any site (sort of a grand total)..

@ Evil.. Eli explained it in the time I posted into another forum!

oh my...

It's ok that file is the most resource intensive script on my site, because all plugins depends on that file. However, I suppose by your warning that it is making the server work too much, so I'll try deactivating some plugins.

Thanks for the info.