Eli L

Did you know...

7 posts in this topic

Did you guys know that I use to be just like you? I came to Vlexo looking for free hosting for my website (after moving through like five other free hosts. either because the service sucked or the service shut down like many free hosts do.) when the previous owner started it back in 2007. Then through the months/year I worked my way up through the ranks of the hierarchy. Through my ideas on how to improve the service and make it better/faster/and easier to use I became admin of the board and got root access to the server.

A period of peace and tranquility then happened with Vlexo and the server but then the previous owner had a series of life issues which caused him to have months of intermittent inactivity in which no one could get ahold of him. This became devastating a while back when the server started acting up and crashing (I call this the period of darkness) and I did not have access to the server's upstream support to get it all fixed. Then there was a scare when he forgot to pay the server bills and I was told that the server was going to be shut down. By this time he was no where to be seen or get ahold of so I was the main acting admin and sysadmin. After that I became worried about the future of this service and the files of everyone hosted with it; so I tried my best to work around the problems.

The last straw was a short period after that. The server was in a state of constant freezes and crashes and downtime was horrible. The server did not have enough memory and everyone was suffering because of it. I still had no communication with the owner so I finally took charge of Vlexo. There was no way this service could survive in its current condition and I was not going to give up and let everyone on there suffer and lose their sites, so I found a new server, transfered all accounts over, rebranded it, and started from scratch fixing all the known problems that I knew about with the way Vlexo was setup. And now here we are today.

The message I'm trying to make here is that if you enjoy something and care about it enough, you can work your way up from the bottom, all the way to the top with your ideas and dedication to make the best possible service for everyone. Then one day the survival of the service may depend on you to cary on its legacy.

rachael, Joe O., Sharad D and 3 others like this

It is a story like this that makes the age old cliché saying of 'working your way to the top' seem less ambiguous.

Eli, I think I speak for everyone here at VlexoFree when I say thank you for not giving up on this host like many others would have. Just look where you are today: the owner of (what I argue to be) the best free host out there with a loyal following of users.

Please keep up the good work. This is an outstanding service you provide all of us. To all of the users of VlexoFree, let us remember this story and to be thankful and give credit where it is due. Thanks, Eli!

Eli, not only is that inspirational and amazing, but it shows what a great person you are.

I was there when it was Vlexo nearly 3 years ago, albeit under a different username, and when things got a little scary, it really was like holding onto nothing, but there was the community, and I think it was the best thing to keep Vlexo going; and yes, you were utterly amazing at getting it back up off the ground, more amazing that you could ever think - It was a while ago, but I am pretty sure I didn't lose a file and had

For that Eli, I am eternally grateful, and I think that we all owe your more than we could ever express through words and text, so much more.

And yes, I do hope that if/when the time comes, there is someone just as amazing as you that puts on the admin hat and takes on the VlexoFree Legacy; but I do hope that it won't be for a very long while to come, because I fear that someone as amazing as you only comes once.

Joe :)

That's pretty impressive. I'm happy I found this place recently. If you need help in any way, just shout (or PM, rather). :)

Eli, not only is that inspirational and amazing, but it shows what a great person you are.

I was there when it was Vlexo nearly 3 years ago, albeit under a different username, and when things got a little scary, it really was like holding onto nothing, but there was the community, and I think it was the best thing to keep Vlexo going; and yes, you were utterly amazing at getting it back up off the ground, more amazing that you could ever think - It was a while ago, but I am pretty sure I didn't lose a file and had

For that Eli, I am eternally grateful, and I think that we all owe your more than we could ever express through words and text, so much more.

And yes, I do hope that if/when the time comes, there is someone just as amazing as you that puts on the admin hat and takes on the VlexoFree Legacy; but I do hope that it won't be for a very long while to come, because I fear that someone as amazing as you only comes once.

Joe :)

This is an interesting bit of history. I know I personally chose vlexo because it seemed like more of an independent host. While 000webhost and the like may offer more in space and bandwidth, Vlexo still has that "mom and pop" charm. ;)